Wood Christmas gift tags can be decorated so many ways for your holiday season decor! They can be used as ornaments, or hung up on your front door with phrases such as Hot Cocoa, Happy holidays or Merry Christmas! Holiday laser cutouts can also be glued on these tags if you have a laser machine!
Here is the best way to make these wooden tags. Since it’s a short length, you can use up any scrap pieces of 1x4s if you have them.
- 1×4 board (Actual dimension: 3/4 inch thick, 3.5 inches wide)
- rope to hang
- chop saw
- drill and spade bit
- orbital sander
- Measure 7 inches long on a 1×4.
2. Cut on the 7″ mark.
3. Turn your wood vertically and measure in 1 1/4 inches from each end.
4. Turn your saw to 45 degree angle and make 2 cuts where you just marked. This gives the wood the “dog ear” angled end.
5. Mark the center of the piece where you want your hole drilled out.
6. Use a spade bit for a large hole. I used 3/4 but you can go smaller or bigger. I wouldn’t go much bigger unless you’re using a really thick rope to hang.
7. After drilling, use a sander to smooth out all the cut edges.
Now you’re ready to paint and/or stain your DIY wood gift tag!
Christmas gift tag decorating ideas:
- modge podge wrapping paper on them
- use a silhoutee or cricut machine to make stencils
- double them up and decorate as a set
- hot glue metal cut out shapes or wording
- use pretty ribbon or baker’s twine to hang them
- give them a rustic or vintage look
- handwrite names for diy christmas gift tags
- use as a personal touch for homemade gifts